In 2011, National CASA launched the I am for the child campaign. The campaign was designed as a catalyst to strengthen the CASA mission that every abused and neglected child have a volunteer Court Appointed Special Advocate by their side. Therein lies my motivation as an advocate when the task seems daunting.
10 Ways in which I am for the child:
- I am the “one constant” in the child’s life, assisting with all transitions until the child achieves permanency.
- I fight diligently for the child’s right to be treated with dignity and respect.
- I enable the child to see themselves as a valuable human being.
- I make myself available to bear witness of a child’s story which he or she may have never had the opportunity to tell before.
- I am an invisible shield protecting a vulnerable child from further abuse and neglect.
- I gather information from all areas of the child’s life —biological parents, foster parents, teachers, medical professionals, attorneys, social workers, therapists, and others. Then I am a viable voice for the child’s best interests.
- I monitor the child’s needs, wants, and wishes. I do everything in my power to make sure each need, want, and wish is fulfilled.
- I am there to catch an aching child’s tears or sit with him in his confused silence.
- I continually, without compromise, seek a safe and permanent home for the child.
- I am the child’s light in his darkness, hope in his hopelessness, and a voice when they are speechless.